I am not welcome home at Christmas
There are many reason why some people are not welcome at home at Christmas time (or any time). Possible reasons for exclusions include:
- Choice of partner
- Gender preference/Life style
- Mental illness
- Religious beliefs
- Drug or alcohol issues
- Criminal history
- Marriage/family breakdown
- Family dispute
Now you may think that these are perfectly good reasons /or perfectly stupid reasons (depending on the circumstance and your personal values), but regardless of whether the reasons are right or wrong, it can be very difficult for those who are excluded.
So what can you do if you are excluded:
- Make your own Christmas – have Christmas for one, being alone doesn’t have to mean being lonely
- Get together with other friends who are also alone at Christmas
- Go away – stay at a hotel, go to the beach, go camping – make a holiday of it
- Donate your time – help out a local charity, church or nursing home
- Allow yourself to be unhappy if you need to, but don’t dwell on it.
- Contact friends or Lifeline or other services if you need.