Should I give Christmas presents to my childrens teachers…………or not?
This conversation can go from ‘of course’ to ‘why would you’ in a very short space of time. Some argue that teachers do the job they are paid for and a gift isn’t necessary. Others would suggest that because teaching is as much about the experience as the content a small thank-you gift is appropriate.
- The teacher and student relationship is pretty important and when it goes well – a thank-you is a nice thing to do.
- Reflecting on the relationship and writing the card is a small task that even young children can undertake. It teaches them about the spirit of giving.
- Depending on the cohort of parents, the amount spent can approach the ridiculous.
- Children transporting gifts to school can be a bit cumbersome.
- If the student and the teacher don’t have a good working relationship, it probably isn’t a good idea.
- You also need to consider the religious beliefs of the teacher (if known). They may not celebrate Christmas as such – although a generic “end-of-year” thank you may still be appropriate.